Our company. Your career. Let’s build some awesome.
Planes fly. Satellites monitor. Missiles target. Failure is not an option. Because of our commitment to excellence, things work perfectly. Why? Since our doors opened in 1849, we've known that people and teamwork are the means to exceeding our customers’ expectations. And we’re never bored. Ducommun is looking for innovative thinkers who want to be part of something bigger.
EHS Manager for Aerospace
Ducommun is seeking an Environmental, Health & Safety Manager for our Coxsackie, NY location. Ducommun believes in safety first and a culture of continuous improvement to drive us toward this mission. To help us fulfill this mission, the EHS Manager will be responsible for developing, implementing and managing a variety of environmental, health, and safety programs to ensure a safe and healthy working environment for all employees with a goal towards zero health and safety incidents and 100% compliance to all local, State and Federal regulatory requirements.
We are seeking an individual with a passion for environmental, health and safety and a commitment to driving continual improvement. This individual will have strong communication and collaboration skills and the ability to partner with all functional areas.
Environmental Health & Safety Management and Compliance
- Manages the environmental, health, and safety function for a complex manufacturing operation with a goal of ensuring employee safety and well-being, reducing company risk/liability and focusing on overall stewardship for company and community EHS priorities.
- The EHS Manager will report to the EHS Regional Manager and may also provide strategic support to other facilities in the Region as required.
- Evaluates operations, equipment (new and existing) and practices for environmental health and safety compliance with regulatory and Company standards.
- Administer and maintain Safety compliance programs such as LOTO, Hazard Communication, EAP, Hearing Conservation, PPE, Hot Work, Confined Spaces, Respiratory Protection, BBP, etc.
- Develop and complete JSA (Job Safety Analysis) for improvement and focus on safe work practices, including ergonomics.
- Complete regulatory required inspections, audits, and reporting. Monitor the site to ensure it is operating in compliance with Ducommun policies and procedures, OSHA, EPA, and DOT regulations and guidelines.
- Establishes and implements environmental, health, safety and industrial / occupational hygiene compliance program, promoting healthy work practices for the protection of personnel, physical assets, and production operations.
- Examines operations to recognize and evaluate occupational exposure to chemical and physical agents.
- Develop and deploy strategies and compliance to support Industrial Hygiene, toxicology, physical safety, and high hazard programs.
- Prepare and submit reports to federal and state and local regulatory agencies as required.
- Create, update, and coordinate emergency response plans with state and local emergency planning committees.
- Perform a variety of EHS duties including sampling, observations, training, inspections and reporting.
- Provide EHS functional leadership and partner with manufacturing/maintenance/HR and others as needed, to ensure environmental and regulatory EHS compliance.
- Collaborate with the site safety team to drive visibility, engagement, and collaboration within the site for EHS priorities.
- Ensures all incidents are promptly documented, investigated, and ensuring appropriate corrective/preventive actions are taken.
- Evaluate PPE and ensure proper use and maintenance of PPE as well as proper training and availability of PPE for employee use.
- Serve as the principal Emergency Coordinator and respond to on-site emergencies involving people, products or waste.
- Utilize the site compliance calendar to ensure all regulatory, Corporate, and other (i.e. customer) deadlines are tracked and met.
- Provide help on assessing and collecting information on the properties and hazard of chemicals to comply with REACH (Registration, Evaluation, and Authorization, of Chemicals).
Complex Environmental Compliance (when applicable based on work location assigned):
- Direct responsibility for completing and submitting all required regulatory reporting for air emissions, toxic chemicals, waste disposal, storm water discharges and hazardous materials reporting.
- Track material usage related to environmental permits and requirements.
- Calculation of air emission and wastewater discharge characteristics.
- Manage and maintain compliance programs and reporting for air (NESHAP, AER), waste (RCRA, HWR), water permits and authorizations (NPDES, SWPPP), SPCC, TRI and Tier II reporting, and lead sustainability initiatives.
- Recommends and coordinates engineering and administrative controls to reduce hazards/risks and limit occupational exposure.
Continuous Improvement and Partnership
- Drive continuous improvement of EHS with innovation, collaboration, and passion.
- Lead execution of a strong CAPA (Corrective Action / Preventive Action) and Root Cause Analysis program that drives site improvement in Safety and Environmental Health.
- Maintain professional knowledge and awareness of legislative updates by being an eager continuous learner and shares this knowledge and information with team members.
- Provides technical guidance, expertise, and recommendations to EHS and other business partners in a proactive, positive, and supportive manner.
- Managing EHS Training by developing, administering and/or facilitating necessary training modules to ensure that training personnel and employees understand and can execute established procedures while meeting all EPA, OSHA and DOT requirements.
- Collaborate with Human Resources, Labor Relations, Employee Relations, Risk Management, Legal, on related protocols and incident management in regards to environmental compliance and safety.
Project and Performance Management
- Manage and track KPIs with leading indicators of performance; partner with the site to establish goals and improvement targets and drive initiatives to achieve those goals.
- Report performance for key metrics to Performance Center Directors, Regional EHS Manager, EHS Director, etc.
- Manage OSHA recordkeeping database and provide quantitative and qualitative monthly reports and other necessary governmental reports.
- Coordinate with stakeholders, functional or operation leaders as necessary over the course of the project.
- Track project status and identify potential issues and risks that may impact completion dates or that may require corrective action.
- Track incident trends and propose strategic facility-level initiatives.
Policy & Process Management
- Develop and maintain policies and documentation at the site level related to corporate EHS program.
- Standardize processes and procedures to ensure consistency and best practice is achieved.
- Ensures plans, programs, and processes are administered consistent with company policies and applicable federal and state laws showing initiative to stay up to date with all internal, state and federal regulatory changes; ensures all partners are trained appropriately and manages these priorities in a way that supports auditing requirements.
Skills & Qualifications
Required Education and Experience
- BS degree required in Occupational Health & Safety; Chemical, Mechanical, Environmental, or Safety Engineering or Science related field or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of experience in Environmental, Health & Safety management including Industrial Hygiene.
- 5+ years of experience in a manufacturing work environment; preferably aerospace.
- ISO-14001 experience preferred.
Required Licenses / Certifications
- CIH, CHMM, or CPEA required.
- Lean Six Sigma certification preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Capabilities
- Extensive knowledge of environmental regulations and policies.
- Extensive knowledge of occupational safety regulations and policies.
- Knowledgeable about Title V Permit Requirements.
- Knowledgeable about industrial wastewater permit requirements.
- Knowledge of EHS software systems, preferably Gensuite.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, with intermediate to advanced Excel skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate technical requirements and data to others that do not have the same expertise or experience.
- Open and timely communication at all levels to ensure appropriate notification of critical issues and information.
- Excellent listening skills and ability to understand and interpret business needs to define communication requirements for a variety of audiences.
- Strong initiative and self-starter; ability to prioritize and multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills, excellent troubleshooting skills and ability to conduct root cause analysis.
- Ability to be decisive and relentless to achieve desired goals and objectives.
- Strong ability to partner and collaborate with other functional areas as well as achieve goals by influencing others and working with indirect reports.
- Must have the ability to lead and manage project teams; set clear goals and objectives and drive performance results.
Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans/Disabled