Pactiv Evergreen Inc. (NASDAQ: PTVE) is a leading manufacturer and distributor of fresh foodservice and food merchandising products and fresh beverage cartons in North America and certain international markets. It supplies its products to a broad and diversified mix of companies, including full service restaurants and quick service restaurants, foodservice distributors, supermarkets, grocery and healthy eating retailers, other food stores, food and beverage producers, food packers and food processors. To learn more about the company, please go to the company website at pactivevergreen.com.
135 miles west of Charlotte, NC, 277 miless east of Nashville, TN, and 178 miles northeast of Atlanta, GA, Canton is the second largest town in Haywood County, North Carolina. It is located about 17 miles west of Asheville and is part of that city's metropolitan area. The town is named after the city of Canton, Ohio. The population was 4,227 at the 2010 census.
The Evergreen Packaging Canton Paper Mills is located in Canton North Carolina, in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, less than half an hour from the city of Asheville and its cultural benefits. It is one of the largest industrial employers in western North Carolina. Opened in 1908, Canton produces paperboard for refrigerated gable-top cartons, cupstock and uncoated freesheet for envelopes. The Canton Mill employs approximately 1000 team members and has played a significant role in the environmental and social history of the area. Started by Canton Mill employees in 1928 and completely funded by employees, Santa Pal is a tradition that last year distributed 600 food boxes to underprivileged families and helped clothe 500 local children in need.
Our ideal candidate understands that environmental stewardship and regulatory compliance is a core value at Evergreen Packaging, and we demonstrate that through our daily actions. While we have an excellent environmental record, we are searching for an Environmental Manager to lead our Canton and Waynesville facilities to achieve our goals of:
- Integration of environmental compliance and awareness into operations
- Building EHS teams with the skills, talents, technical aptitude, desire to achieve ongoing excellence
- Put in place robust, sustainable systems to manage EHS at the Canton Operations
- Assure the proper infrastructure is in place to archive environmental stewardship and regulatory compliance into the future
This position reports to the Canton Mill Environmental Health and Safety with a strong dotted line to the Canton Mill General Manager and in close collaboration with the Mill Health and Safety Manager.
- As a member of the Mill Leadership Team, provide environmental leadership and direction for the Canton Operations by identifying and working to collaboratively mitigate environmental risk
- Implements strategies and systems to keep operations focused on environmental impacts and in compliance with environmental and related permits and regulations.
- Assure area leaders monitor operations to identify, predict and control environmental performance so that permit conditions are maintained.
- Oversee management of the Landfill and WWTP operations including equipment maintenance, budgets, contractor management, and operations directives.
- Be an Integral part of the Corporate Evergreen EHS Leadership Team consisting of EHS Managers from the mills and NAP Manager to set EHS strategy, policy and initiatives for the company
- Manage recording and reporting environmental related information for Evergreen Packaging
- Utilize EMIS (Gensuite) for internal environmental incident, non-compliance, auditing and inspection reporting and follow-up
- Assure Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Environmental submittals (Air, Storm Water, Waste Water, Waste Management, etc.) are accurately developed, reviewed, and submitted timely
- Mentors mill environmental professionals (direct reports) to drive personal ownership and accountability for success and succession planning including feedback on performance and opportunities for development and growth.
- Partner with site operational leaders to be visible environmental advocates in their areas of responsibility and ensure plans are in place to proactively achieve their environmental obligations and targets.
- Audits facilities and systems to identify improvement opportunities and provide assistance in reaching environmental goals and objectives.
- Remain current on regulatory developments that are applicable to environmental compliance at the local, state and federal level and position the mill to manage the impacts.
- Act as a liaison between the mill and the community and/or the regulators on environmental issues.
- Maintain membership in local manufacturing and environmental organizations.
- Support Evergreen’s Sustainability objectives at the Canton and Waynesville Operations.
Skills and Competencies:
- Technical proficiency in federal EPA, DHS, and other applicable federal regulations, as well develop specific knowledge of the state of North Caroline and local regulations as necessary.
- Development of a detailed technical knowledge of the kraft pulp and paper process, equipment, applicable environmental regulations, and environmental control equipment if previous experience does not provide.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to influence and negotiate in the face of difficult and complex circumstances.
- Independent thinking and integration of technical/regulatory issues into organizational policies, practices and training.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal). Ability to communicate skillfully with employees, customers, vendors, contractors, and regulators. Comfort with presenting to senior leaders.
- Change agent. Can create a vision, and lead others to follow, execute and sustain change.
- Fully proficient in Microsoft Office Applications
- Collaborative business partner.
Travel, as required, to other Evergreen Packaging Locations, conferences, and regulatory meetings. Typical travel is anticipated 5% - 10%.
The position will be located at the Canton Mill.
- Bachelor of Science – Environmental or Chemical, Science or Engineering of related field, Required.
- 12+ years – First-hand experience in environmental management for process related manufacturing facilities, Required: Pulp and Paper experience, Preferred.
- 5+ years – Leading teams, Required
- Excellent administrative skills with good analytical and problem-solving attributes: Required
- Verbal and written communications with experience in negotiations must be very strong.